Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Morning Walk


I wake Lora up for school, pack her lunch and then head out the door for my morning walk. The first thing I notice is a frog whose life was apparantly cut short as he tried to make his way across the road in the night. To a girl who has always had a tender spot in her heart for frogs...this deserved a tiny moment of recognition.

Even though the music in my i-pod is turned up, I can still hear the birds, who are extremely loud in the mornings. They are very excited that the night rains are gone and they have a beautiful sunny morning to wake up to! I try to pick up my pace even though parts of the road are seriously slippery and muddy from the rains. I soon hear the shrill voice of the howler monkey cutting through my music and I look up to see two of them hanging in the tree above me as if they were trying hard to get my attention. I don't know if I will ever get used to seeing them...they are just amazing and I could watch them for hours.

Just as I am headed up the "killer hill", I hear a car coming up behind me and soon see my freckle faced Lora hanging out the window with her big smile shouting and waving, "you can do it mom!" That gives me the burst of enery that I need....I make my way to the top of the hill.....

She heads off to school in the nice air conditioned car.


About 30 minutes later, I make it to the turn around point in my walk and I start heading back home. At this point, the music in my i-pod changes to "The Reflections of Christ"....I get that familiar lump in my throat because this music makes me think of Alex. This was his favorite CD before he left on his mission and was one that we played quite often in the house for the months right after he left. This morning though, it had a different affect on me. Here I was walking in this beautiful country, seeing the mist rising up out of the mountainous forests in the distance, and just reflecting on this past year, specifically these past couple months.

It really got my mind thinking and pondering. These are the moments when we are taught by the spirit.

I soon see 3 little boys walking toward me on their way to school in their freshly washed white school uniform shirts. I have compassion on their mother because I know first hand now what it took to get those shirt clean and white. A few minutes later I pass by their "tico house" and there is that sweet mother, hanging clothes on the barbed wire fence and I'm sure hoping that the rain will stall long enough today that they will actually get a chance to dry. I feel a little sad as I look at her house and can clearly see that it has gaps and holes and looks as if a strong wind could blow it right over. It totally touches my heart as I see that she has a large pice of lace pinned up to cover the "window" in the front door. Isn't that just like all mothers, to want to make their home beautiful? Even in her world of so little resources, she somehow manages to bring a touch of beauty to her home.

Right then I see a mother bird sitting on the fence post with her beak overflowing with small twigs and jungle twine, obviously busy at work making her nest. It hits me that the Lord put it into the hearts of ALL mothers to want to make a safe and beautiful home for their children and that this is the root of the reason that I was so unhappy during that week in Nicargua...I didn't see how it was possible for me to make the kind of home that my heart wanted to make there.

I have been feeling guilty about my inability to make life work on Ometepe....but I think this morning, I am past that. I know that we all come to earth in different situations, with different resources, talents and gifts. It doesn't do any good to compare ourselves to others. Those that came to earth in situations that provide far less than what we are used to, are also given the ability to be happy and make the best of what they have, for the most part. For those of us that have been born in places and situations where life is easier in the sense of material things....I know the Lord has different ways for us to stretch and to grow and in some ways, much more is required of us because the day to day task of merely surviving is not an obstacle for us.

I am thankful this morning for my many many blessings. I am so thankful for my firm testimony that God lives and that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the Earth. I feel of my "nothingness" without my Heavenly Father. I know that the most important thing I can do as a mother is to continue "making a home" for my children and sometimes when life is hard, I can think of the lace hanging in the window in the house up the road, and I will know that it is always possible to find an element of beauty in my day....sometimes you just have to look a little harder.



7 comments:

KitKat said...

I live in St. Louis and am in the Maryland Heights Ward. Your son, Elder Martinsen, is serving in our ward. He is such an amazing young man and you have every reason to be proud of him! I'm not sure if he told you, but he spoke in our sacrament meeting a couple of weeks ago and gave an absolutely wonderful talk on missionary work. During the combined Priesthood/Relief Society meeting later that day, the bishop mentioned his talk and said it was one of the best talks on missionary work he'd ever heard. He was right!

Anyway--your son has been to my home for dinner and last time talked about his family and your brave move to Costa Rica. I actually think he's showed us a picture of his family both times he's been to our house. He mentioned last time that he misses you all...but in a different way than he did when he first left. That it's now more of an appreciation and greater love for his family. He gave me the blog address and I thought I'd let you know how great he is! He's coming to our house for dinner again this Sunday and we'll be blessed because of it.

Aura Joyce
aura_joyce@yahoo.com

susan auld said...

Tara, I read you blog today and was crying; so touched by your experiences. I don't know you well, but feel like I've known you forever.

Thank you for sharing!

Susan Auld

Mariah Payne said...

Mom,
Thanks for sharing so many details about your mornings and Costa Rica in general- I love hearing about them. It is so true what you said about the mothers... I have been thinking about that a lot lately. I'm so grateful for your firm testimony. Thank you for always being such strong example and an amazing mother! I love you

Kristen said...

Just for the record..I check your blog every day, I just never sign in to comment. But I am signed in today. I just didn't want you to think I didn't read your blog.
I loved this post. It was really well written! I hate that we don't talk as much anymore..so keep updating your blog. Maybe I'll get around to updating mine someday!
Love you!
Kristen

Anonymous said...

Tara - I have faithfully been reading your blog since you started it and always look forward to your next post. You went to Costa Rica to help build testimonies there but you are helping to build them back in the US among your readers as well.

Thank you for your inspired insights and for sharing your experiences with us.

Kim Trop

Amy said...

Tara I am so blessed to have you as a sister. It feels so good to know that you have such a strong testimony. I am so grateful that you have this opportunity to help and serve others. I am so proud of you! I want you to know how much respect I have for you and what a wonderful example you are to me and all those that you come in contact with. You simply are amazing! I love you so very much!

Shiela Campbell said...

Your blogs fill my cup and like others look so forward to them. I almost find myself impatient as I wait for the next one. The comments left also fill me with good things and I find it so remarkable that connections are made with a "sister" in St. Louis who has her special connection to Alex and shares that with the rest of us, a beautiful "sister" here in my ward, and your own sweet sisters and then of course it is a wonderful connection to Mariah. I will say TY each time we talk via e-mail etc. for letting your testimony and your example lift me up and allow me to see things from a different perspective. Stay strong and make the most of every second of this experience!! How does your mother get on your friends and family list:):) I suppose I need a blog! :)
Love you!!!!