Saturday, February 12, 2011

Happy Birthday Alex

This picture was taken right before Alex left on his mission, so I know it is two years old now, but it is how I remember him. I just love this picture. He has this mature, somber, yet knowing smile on his face as if he fully knows the wonderful adventure that he is about to embark on. He has prepared to serve a mission since he was just a little boy. Serving, helping others, sharing his testimony of the Savior with others...those things have always been part of who he is.
Today he is 21 years old. I can't even believe it. Where did the time go? Sometimes I refuse to believe that he is not my adorable little toddler that I could snuggle in my lap and read to for hours. He is still adorable, just doesn't fit in my lap too well anymore.
While sometimes I want those days to return, I could not be happier with the stage of life that I am in right now with my kids. Alex has grown into the most incredible young man. He amazes me. He amazes everyone. I have received countless emails, phone calls, letters, from people in Missouri that he has served among on his mission. One day in particular I was driving down the street and my cell phone rang. On the other end was this sweet older woman who introduced herself to me. She said that these 2 wonderful young men had just left her home in Missouri. They had knocked on the door and wanted to share a message with her. She said she had never been so impressed with a young man as she was with "Elder Martinsen". She said, "he had a light about him and a smile that was just magnificent. He brought something into my home that I have never quite felt before." She said the only thing she could think to do in return was to call his mother and tell her. She must be a mother herself. I was so glad she did. It warmed my heart like nothing else could.
A few weeks ago, the 6 of us gathered around our little kitchen table here in the yellow house and we made a birthday card for Alex to send in plenty of time for his birthday today. We decided to list 21 of our favorite things/memories about him. We had ourselves laughing and crying as we went down memory lane. It was hard to stop at 21.
Alex has always had a great sense of humor, yet very sincere. He has always had a good sense of who he is and is a great communicator. He could debate and WIN, most of the time ANY argument from the time he was 3 years old! He attracts friends wherever he goes and has influenced many lives for good.
It is a strange, yet wonderful stage in life, when those little ones that you snuggled and read to and bathed and stayed up long nights with...suddenly become your friend and your example in countless ways. He has become someone that I look up to and admire. I am the luckiest mom in the world to have a son like him.
Alex returns from his mission next month. I have been saving up a hug for 2 years now and you can bet it is going to be a good one.
Our family will finally be complete again. I love you Alex.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Yep..I'm bawling!

Unknown said...

Sister Martinsen,
I love love that picture of him! This post is so sweet. And that lady from Missouri is exactly right! He does have a light about him. Honestly that is what drew me to Alex, it made me want to know him and more about his story. Alex is such a wonderful example to me and everyone else. I have never met someone who had such a love for the gospel and a desire to know more and do better. He is incredible. I am so thankful for the opportunity I have had to get to know your wonderful Son.

Feliz Cumpleanos Alex :)

Shaun Zimmerman said...

As one who has been honored to get to know Alex during his missionary service here in Missouri, I can't thank-you enough for sending him out. Without a doubt one of the best missionaries we've had through here EVER. I got teary eyed reading the comments too, because it's all true and our daughter returns the same time Alex does from his mission. What wonderful blessings to have children able and willing to complete this service to the Lord. So grateful to get to know him - and your wonderful family - because of him.

Give him a hug for us too!