Saturday, April 30, 2011

RS Activity

This past Wednesday evening the RS held an activity where I was to teach the sisters how to make cookies. I have become the "cookie lady" in the branch. I didn't realize that I was introducing them to something new the first time I brought homemade cookies to a branch activity. After all, in the states, we have to have cookies for every church activity, right?
This is the whole group of us that night. It was small but I was thankful for that as this little kitchen was very tiny. We held it at the home of our branch president, where he lives with his mother. She is the little short lady in the white skirt and she is just an angel. Lora also got to come and then we have Kaitlin Gray here visiting us so she was there too...I was thankful to have the extra help.

We made 2 different kinds: No Bake Cookies and Choc Chip. Here are 2 sisters scooping out the No Bake Cookies to cool on a plate.

They were all smiles while stirring up the cookies. It was fun to see their joy. This sister in the black shirt is a very recent convert as of about a month ago and she just glows. Then the branch President's cute mom and Magaly who is a very dear friend of ours that we just absolutely love. She is the RS President.


OK well before you laugh at these cookies...let me explain: Sis. Lopez is so thrilled to even have an oven in her little dirt floor kitchen, but it is very tiny and my cookie sheet would not fit all the way in, unless we shut the oven door hard which made the cookie sheet raise up on one end; therefore the cookies slid a little downhill while baking and they turned out looking like this. I call them choc chip sliders! They still tasted good.

Alex joined us at the end when only one of his young men showed up for mutual, they decided to walk over and have their refreshments with us. Of course, all the sisters are always happy to see him....they love him.
This was quite a unique experience making cookies in such a humble little kitchen. The sisters each brought an ingredient to donate and then I brought all the bowls, spoons, pans, etc....Her kitchen is so simple, it was mind boggling for me to imagine cooking every meal here for her family of 7, 5 of which still live at home. They get by with so very little yet Sis. Lopez is just the happiest little lady you ever saw.
I have been to hundreds of RS activities in my life, but this one was extra special. I love these sweet sisters so much and I hope that with my cookies, I am able to make their lives just a little bit sweeter as well.

3 comments:

Mariah Payne said...

Miss them all. Looks like it turned out to be fun. love you!

Shaun Zimmerman said...

Alex!! You're looking really good!!

Shiela Campbell said...

Can't believe I have missed these blogs. I guess I just got all caught up in Aunt Kathy's visit and then going to her house and forgot to check. I am sitting here blubbering like a baby(esp. the pictures of leaving the island) I feel like I know these sweet people. Alex is sitting right here beside me showing me his pics of he and Kaitlyn!!!!