Sunday, May 8, 2011

Surprise! Happy Mother's Day.

Hello, this is Mariah. I've been trying to think of something kinda creative to do for my momma who's hundreds of miles away, I decided that hijacking her blog and giving her some much needed credit would be sufficient. {One of the advantages of knowing her password and username...}

Since my mom has been keeping this blog as sort of a journal of my family's time in Costa Rica, I thought it would be nice to have someone besides herself do a little of the talking... besides, she is the main woman behind this past year of adventures, the one who has kept everything and everyone going smoothly, and the heart of our family. I think that right there is enough to deserve a few words of praise... I know the rest of my family would agree.
Some words that come to mind when I think of my Mom are sensitive, nurturing, serving, and above all, loving. I've watched her throughout my life as she reaches out to others, finds the good in them, finds out what they might be in need of, and loves and serves them selflessly. I can't count all the times I have heard her say, "I just love that person." And she really does. I have watched her find so much joy out of giving little acts of service, whether it be a smile, a thoughtful note, a little gift, or just a hug... she is someone that people feel comfortable and loved around. I think I can speak for my siblings when I say we have benefited from her example more than anyone; I couldn't be more grateful for that.

This past year has brought tons of change and adventure to my family. I have watched my mom in awe as she juggled everything that has been thrown at her in a way that has kept everything running smoothly and as "normal" as possible for our family of seven. From being stretched very thin in branch callings and responsibilities, finding ways to provide delicious meals without much of the food and conveniences we are used to, to helping the younger kids adjust to a new country and culture {while trying to figure it out herself}, and always being there for any of us that needed a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on, she truly has been an example of selflessness and service.

In my 4 months of Costa Rica, I was continually astounded at how strong and diligent my mom has been. I have seen many lives that have been deeply touched by her willingness and faithfulness, as she goes about doing what needs to be done with an attitude of joy and love. She is continually striving to be better, and she relies on her faith in our loving Heavenly Father for her strength. Of course my mom isn't perfect, but it is the fact that she is always trying to do better that makes her the amazing woman that she is.

I could keep going and going, but I've probably embarrassed her enough. My mom has taught me so much and has been the ultimate example to me my entire life. From her I have learned that "a disciplined person is a happy person," that "the most important thing you can put on in the morning, is a smile," and the power of positive thoughts. Even more importantly though, I have learned from her example. From this I have learned that the most important thing we can do in this life is to love others, that when we put our trust in our Savior, we can have complete joy, that we cannot comprehend how much our Heavenly Father loves us and how much he wants us to succeed.

Happy Mother's Day mom. Thank you for always striving to be the best you can be, and for being my best friend in the process. You will be very missed by the Santa Cruz branch, but the selfish side of me cannot WAIT to have you so much closer! I love you.

5 comments:

Amy Schweitzer said...

Mariah you are so sweet! Everything you said is 110% true! Youre mother is such an incredible example to everyone she meets and always giving to others! She is amazing.

Tara said...

this was such a sweet surprise. I don't know what to say except that I am the luckiest mom in the world. I love you more than you know.

Shiela Campbell said...

It's impossible to put into words the joy you feel when you know your children are happy and living good lives, but when a granddaughter can express these kind of feelings about her mother (my sweet girl) then it really becomes impossible, except to say I am SO grateful for the blessing both of you are in my life!!!

Lo Craig said...

wow....the post is very clever!...a little TO clever....so maybe you can hook me up? haha you are right.. mom is the BEST! i love you mom!

Alex Martinsen said...

I love you momma !