Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Service Project

Don't you just love this little guy?

Anyone that knows me well, knows that I have always had a special love in my heart for the elderly. Sometimes in high school, I would just drive to the nursing home to hang out and visit with the patients there and I would always come away feeling "full". So, when our branch here planned a service project to the local nursing home...I was anxious to go. It turned out to be just our family, the branch president, the missionaries, and part of one other family. The boys went to work in the yard and garden areas and the girls cleared out the cafeteria tables and chairs and did the floors. I volunteered to give massages...thinking that I would be giving hand or foot rubs. Oh boy.....I got myself into something I wasn't expecting. It was actually quite funny. Let's just say that I soon had a line up of people and I had to enlist my faithful partner ( Lane) to help me. We have some pretty funny stories, that you will just have to ask us about in person. I have pictures, but maybe not too blog appropriate. Ahhhh...gotta love the elderly.



Why is cleaning so fun when it is for someone else?? These girls were troopers and worked their tails off. Emma completed the whole task in her heels! She is such a girly girl.
This was a memory that we won't soon forget. The people were so happy to see us and it is just so fun to see their eyes light up when they get visitors. One woman that I was giving a massage to told me that she does have children in the area but she never gets any visitors. "Ellos son ocupados" (they are busy)....that is what she told me. It broke my heart. How can that happen? I can guarantee that will NOT happen on my watch if Lane or my parents ever end up in a nursing home!
This is such a great family home evening idea....just take your children to the nursing home...prepare a little song or two, bring some pictures the kids have drawn...if nothing else just bring your smiles and some hugs and you will leave feeling "full". I promise you that.
Some of my most treasured memories have to do with serving the elderly. I am thankful that the Lord blessed me with a special love for them. I have had so many opportunities throughout my life to serve for, with, and among them. These experiences have added so much to my life. I hope when I am one of "the elderly"...my kids will feel the same. I have a feeling they will.

4 comments:

Tiffanie said...

Love it Tara, and I want to hear all the massage stories someday! Going to a nursing home has always been on my mental list as something we should do, but I've never scheduled it - You've inspired me! You're changing the world in Costa Rica and now some elderly in Chile will be blessed by you too :) Love you all

Stonez said...

Who was the little elderly guy you guys looked after and lived in the apartment below? I was super in awe of you when you did that...and wow, that family scored having you there to care for him and be a friend!

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

had to delete that...too many spelling errors...ha ha. anyway, it was "grandpa Joe Thalman" that we had the opportunity to live with and care for. It was such a wonderful experience for me and my family. He ended up passing away in my arms, which is a very special memory for me. There is nothing like caring for elderly people.