Monday, August 30, 2010

Home Alone

Well, I post that as a title, because it the first time this has happened since we left the states....I am actually home ALONE.
Lane and Abe left early to take the girls to school and then the two of them continued on to Liberia to figure out something on our car. You might ask what would motivate Abe to get up early and be excited for 2 hours+ in the car. Three words: McDonald's in Liberia! ha ha

It has been really nice to have several hours to myself. I did some dishes, caught up on my journal, read a chapter of the Book of Mormon in Spanish (even though comprehension is still at about 5%) and studied out of a couple other Spanish books we have. I am actually waiting now like an impatient mother for Alex's weekly email to arrive.....it is usually at about the same time every Monday, but now and then he throws me for a loop and he does something totally bizzarre, like goes to the dentist and I don't get a letter until way later....oh I hate when that happens! Writing to your mom is way more important than clean teeth. Hasn't he figured that out yet? Not to mention that the Spanish version of "what not to wear" is really getting on my nerves in the background!

As I am walking around my house this morning....I just keep thinking to myself, "I am living in Costa Rica" It still seems a little surreal to me. I guess it is proof that actions always start with a thought and if you think about something long enough, it WILL happen. This is a lesson on the power of thoughts huh? This concept, like most things in life can be good or bad. Maybe that will be our FHE lesson for tonight.

OK, Alex's letter just came and now I have to dry my tears. His letters always choke me up. I miss him more than I can even explain, yet at the same time, I don't want his mission to end because being a "missionary mom" is one of the best titles I have ever had. It is hard to explain until you are there. Ahhhh....deep breath. Love that boy.

My heart has become very tender for the missionaries since he has been out, expecially since we are living out of the country. I see the sacrifices that they make and yet they are always wearing a smile. One of the cute missionaries in our branch here was saying yesterday how much he misses "Cheez-its" but that was followed quickly by his energetic attitude toward the work. They shine their shoes every morning and yet they are muddy and dull within just a few minutes of tracting in the rain. I believe that is why they are always so happy: they have learned to be obedient in the little things, even when sometimes the "rule" doesn't make perfect sense.
When we put forth just a little effort, out Heavenly Father blesses us more than we can imagine.

My heart is full today with love for my family back in the states. All of Lane's family....I love them so much, and all of my family....they mean so much to us. And my sweet kids, Alex and Mariah....remember, we are looking at the same moon.

5 comments:

Mariah Payne said...

I'm glad you got to have a few hours for yourself today. You are just such a good mamma and I miss you!:) Loved getting Alex's emails too. Can't wait till we are all together again.

Amy said...

Okay...just got all choked up when I read the last line..."We are all looking at the same moon" Isn't that in a movie? I love and miss you so much....You are a awesome sister.Today is my first day home alone and i just keep pacing the floor not quite sure what to do. I guess I will start with a little music and a good smelling candle.

Tara said...

I don't know...it is just something that I always say to my kids when they are away.

Stonez said...

somewhere out there...(squeeky voice)
And even though I know how very far apart we are,
it helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star.

And when the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby,
it helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky.

FIVEL!!!!

Tara said...

janet, you are such a goof ball. made me laugh though.